Saturday, August 22, 2009

dive right in

So for about the last, oh two to three years, I have been lamenting to myself and various others that I want to learn how to knit. I want to learn how to knit because there are things that I can make, looks to achieve, that just can't be done with crocheting. Namely, clothing items. I don't enjoy the big bulky look of crocheted clothing. I want it to be smooth and stretchy, which means I must learn to knit. So just like crocheting, I have taught myself. I have successfully mastered both the knit and purl and accidentally even increasing and decreasing. I keep saying I want to take classes, which I still do, but I don't really have time for that. Plus I would be annoying if I had to start all over with just the whole knit and purl thing. So I think I will take classes later on for special projects. I think there are just little things you can learn by people who actually know what they are doing. I know, that is a big shock, but it is true! I have taught myself how to crochet. I still don't know what some of the terms mean, but I can do more than just the basics.

So I want to make a sweater. I have learned the basics and have found a very basic looking sweater pattern, so I am just going to dive right in. My first crocheting project was a giant afghan so I figure why not a sweater? Justin will be the owner if this sweater. He will love and cherish it and wear it around the house all the time. At least that is what I am hoping for. You see, Justin has had this one sweater for about 10+ years. It has holes in it. Giant holes. It is now shapeless and kind of blah looking but it is his version of a robe. He wears it all the time. I am hoping to replace this blah sweater with a new and improved blah sweater. See, I am not really setting high standards for myself. My goal is to complete it and make it functional to wear around the house. Comfortable would be nice too. So I hope he will be looking forward to getting this sweater sometime in 2012 since knitting takes FOREVER!

Other things in the works: pumpkin hats, cupcake hats, and children's cardigans. Maybe if I am feeling crazy, I will finish my niece's blanket.

We have a showing tomorrow so that is excellent. At least people are looking which not everybody can say.

In big news, twice in the last week Ava has decided on her own to go potty. She just goes in the bathroom, pees, and dumps her pee herself and comes back out. I think there is one other time she did this, but I only had pee on the seat to tip me off. She is really going to potty train herself, like I thought. She has a laser treatment on Monday so that means time in the house. I am hoping if I just put her in the pants she will just decide to go on her own. I am kind of afraid of ruining her own method though.