Sunday, September 7, 2014

Introducing Isla

They is like a new baby to re-inspire blogging! 

This Wednesday is my due date. This past Thursday was my scheduled induction date. Tuesday morning at 5 am I woke up because my water broke. I had been having contractions for days that amounted to nothing, were too far apart and not getting any stronger. Part of me spent Monday really thinking that I was having the baby within the next 24 hours. The other part didn't want to get my hopes up so I ignored it.  I was feeling very done with being pregnant. Anyway, I had gone as far as getting a bag out and putting a couple things in it, like blankets and clothes to bring the baby home in. That was it. So at 5 am, Justin and I finished packing up the bag for the hospital, school bags for Rhys and Ava and their overnight bags. We fed the cats and hamsters a few times, grabbed the dog and left. I started feeling the contractions by about 5:15. I got to experience the joy of being in labor in the car. It was an experience for sure. Justin said it was the longest drive ever, but it seemed to go fast. We dropped the kids and the dog off and went to the hospital. We got there around 6:30, got checked in and set up. I got checked and was at 3cm and got an epidural around 7:30. At 9:15 the nurse said I was 8-9 and the doctor would be in to check me next unless I feel the need to push. At 9:35, Justin went and told them that I could really feel the pressure and was ready when they were. The doctor was in the middle of a c-section, so we waited. He didn't finish in time because one of the other doctor's from the practice came in for the delivery. I started pushing at 10:02 and at 10:06, Isla was born.  They put her on my chest for a minute or two. It was all so calm and easy.
We had the day to ourselves because we were waiting for Ava and Rhys to get out of school and be the first to hold her besides us. 
They were so excited to meet her and hold her. The next day was my birthday and I asked to go home.  It has been a love fest ever since. The biggest argument is who's turn it is to hold her. Justin has had the rest of the week off and will go back to work on Tuesday. He is trying to get his time in with her. I have just been a breast feeding machine. It is going well. I haven't before had such a demanding baby from hour 1 to nurse, so that has definitely been a change. I have blocked out the exact pain feeling of the first couple weeks of nursing.  She is content and loved. It just a happy time in our house with brief moments of insane hormones, but let's ignore those. I generally feel fine until I try to do normal things and then I remember that I just had a baby. 

So the stats on Isla. Born at 10:06am, 8lbs, 6oz., 20 inches long. Tons of hair! Dark brown with reddish blonde highlights. Normal baby blue colored eyes. 

And now pictures.


First bath
Coming home
First night home.


Cuddly cheeks


First trip out of the house.

First bath at home with photographer Rhys. 

There are many more firsts to come and we just can't get enough of her. I look at Rhys and Ava and know all too well that it goes too fast so I am trying to live it up.