Thursday, July 12, 2012

Would you like some fries with that?

I am starting to prepare for my ascention into full time domestic goddessness, I am thinking a lot about what I would like that to look like.  I know that I am probably not going to always accomplish everything I set for myself.  I know that about  myself.  I will take a week off and just read a book or make a huge mess with some new project I have come up with.  But I do have some practical goals. One of them has to do with dinner.

I generally am a meal planner.  I don't always stick with a schedule, but I want to have meals planned out, so I know what to buy at the grocery store.  If not, I just end up with a cart full of random things and then go pick up dinner because I have no idea what to make with them.  Recently I have started to keep all my recipes on Pepperplate.  It is a website that allows you to compile recipes from all different websites or import your own.  You can also menu plan and make a grocery list.  Since I am going to be home every night that means there is the possiblity of dinner every night.  Believe it or not, this should actually going to save us money.  No more needing to buy food at work because there aren't any leftovers.  I actually do like eating food at home.  I actually prefer the food I make at home for dinners to fast food.  I am looking forward to this whole thing.  Over the years I have compiled quite a list of good recipes.  I am working on getting them all into the same place.  I am definitely not a make the same thing every week kind of person.  I am more of the make the same thing every month.  At the most, every two weeks.  I do try to coordinate recipes so I can use ingredients in multiple things to make it cheaper.  I have the issue of side dishes.  I have no idea what to make as a side dish.  I tend to go with casseroles or all inclusive dishes so I don't have to think about it.  When we have vegetables, they are usually just steamed.  The problem is with side dishes, they tend to not be very healthy.  Do you have this problem?  I don't want to have a nice baked chicken and then veggies smothered in cheese and butter.  (Well I do, but my scale doesn't want me to.) So my new challenge is to come  up with side dishes.  Maybe we won't ever eat them, but I want to try.