Friday, October 28, 2011

What is the best you can afford?

This is a concept I have been pondering for a while. I think with most things in life, we always try to get the biggest bang for our buck. What is the highest quality thing we can get with our dollar. We don't do that with food though. We generally try to feed our families as cheaply as possible. I guess this whole thing does revolve around what you consider to be "quality". Not everybody buys into the concept of organics for grass fed, cage free, hormone free food.

I just think it is funny, like funny odd, that I will work out to be healthy. I use an eco friendly laundry detergent. I use eco-friendly cleaning products because I don't want all the chemicals in the house. I even have ventured into cloth diapers, switched to cloth pads and the diva cup to avoid all the contact with chemicals and carcinogens, but I haven't changed my eating. I really do think it is a cost factor for me. It is hard to make that jump financially. I get why it costs more. I really do. It is the same reason why something handmade would cost more than something manufactured on a machine. It just works that way. Even with furniture we consider hand made items to be worth more and higher quality than pre-fab.

I think I am going to make the switch. I think some things will indeed cost more. Some will cost less. Somethings will cost less flat out because I am not going to be buying them. I haven't figured out exactly what this switch will look like for us. I don't know where our boundaries will be. I am actually going to try to start with pretty loose boundaries and tighten up as I go. I will still try to get the most bang for my buck, but that might just mean shopping at a co-op instead of a big name store instead of shopping at walmart.