Monday, September 3, 2012

Do I stink?

I think I have been worried about smelling bad for pretty much as long as I can remember.  I don't know if I worry about smelling bad exactly, rather I want to smell good.  I love things that smell good.  I will just sit and sniff someone that smells nice.  I appreciate their shampoo, body wash, deodorant, fabric softener, perfume, cologne, anything that gives them a smell. I will usually identify that person with a particular smell too.  As long as I could remember my grandma and grandpa each had their own particular smell.  I loved that I wouldn't see them for 6 months and they would still smell the same.  It was always so good.

Needless to say, I am very into perfumes.  I remember I first started wearing Soft Jasmine by Loves.  I then wore Sweet Honesty by Avon.  I wore this spray called something "botanicals".  I don't really remember what it was.  I then wore CK One.  I think I got one of those little tiny bottles, then I moved on to CK Be.  I always wanted to have a smell that was just mine.  Some fragrance that would always be associated with me.  When I was 16, I got Cool Water for Women by Dannoff.  I think I have had at least 4 bottles of that in my lifetime.   This was all during the time when you could not get away from apple or freesia from Bath and Body Works.  I was an exception to the rule among my friends, wearing a regular perfume instead of a body spray.

By the time I got to college, I realized there were so many different good smelling perfumes.  Throughout college I added in  Oui by lancome, Happy by Clinique, and Heavenly by Victoria's Secret to my Cool Water rotation.  I found that different perfumes gave me headaches or really changed smells on me and I didn't like them.

I am torn now.  I still like having the idea of a smell that is just what I wear, but I can't do it.  I stop smelling it if I wear it all the time or sometimes depending on where I have been in the baby making/having process they don't smell good on me.  Chance by Chanel smelled great and I loved it.  It was the most different for me, spicy and warm. I had Ava and I couldn't stand the smell of it on me anymore.  My post kid favorites have been Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden.  It is always clean and fresh smelling.  Watch out for leaving the bottle in the sun though, the smell definitely turns as it ages.  I also love Beauty by Calvin Klein.  It is soft and feminine.  It is definitely more of a floral smell than I usually wear.  I wonder if it makes me smell like an old lady, but I can't help it.  I love it.  I don't think anybody else does though which makes me pause. (see I care if other people think I smell good.)  When shopping for a new fragrance, I always am drawn to Beauty.  I can't get away from liking it.  Nothing has passed it up in my mind.

I have asked Justin what kind of perfumes he likes.  I guess if I want to smell good, he should be the person I smell good for, right?  So he said he likes sweet smells.  He hates going perfume shopping with me though, he thinks it gives him a headache.  So I have to go to the store, narrow it down, spray my wrists and come home and have him sniff the options.  It has been narrowed down to Sexy Graffiti by Escada and Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture.  Do you have a fragrance of choice?  I am the only one who has such delimas?  I would own all of them if I could.