Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This is a tale of sadness and woe

So I finally finished a project. I finished and sewed together the slippers that were supposed to be for Ava for Christmas in early January. I felted them as directed. It took three rounds in the wash to make them uniformly tight. They had great shape and looked cute. Here is the part of sadness and woe. They came out to be about an adult size 5 or 6. That means they are a little small on me and gigantic on Ava. Ava cried about it and huffed and puffed at me and told me what a huge failure I was. Really, she just huffed and puffed and told me that they were way too big for her and I did it wrong. I didn't do it wrong though. I followed the measurements and directions of the pattern, the pattern just must not have been for the correct size. That is really all there is to it.

This is one of the finished slippers. Ava has stolen the other one and bound it with rubber bands in an attempt to make it fit her foot so it was not available for the picture. Switching this over to a positive note, these bad boys fit quite nicely in my purse for when I go to other people's houses and need some slippers. It is ok, I don't mind walking around looking like a giant elf.

So on to my next project. I am chugging away at it and making quite a bit of progress. Since I have the goal of finishing 12 projects in 2011, I need to finish this in February, so I can be 2 for 2. (I am totally counting the slippers even though they were really mostly done in November and December, because dang it, I finished them in January and some projects take a long time. I am also counting my 3 squares I finished in January for my square project group for kids in Africa. Might have to cushion the total come November, so right now I am really at 4 for 1.) I am making a blanket for Ava. It is the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket out of Spud and Chloe sweater yarn. I am just past the halfway point with the squares. I have been sewing them together when I can too. I figure it won't be so daunting at the end and it will force me to not rush the sewing and will have an overall better result. I am getting much more comfortable with the mattress stitch so hopefully I will be more confident when I sew together future clothing projects. Anyway, here is a picture of what I have finished.

Status of the second set of slippers...sitting alone and depressed and not finished because since the child size slippers turned out to be adult sized, I am not sure what giant will be able to wear the "adult" sized slippers.